This is a conversation with the one and only Doland White.
Doland and I met while working at the same company a few years ago.. he was the CEO and I was just one of the web development grunts. 😉 …but no, we built their WordPress business together and he taught me a lot as I helped build the themes and a team of designers and developers.
He’s been involved with technology in some shape or form for over 3 decades. He worked at IBM, 11 years at Novell, Symantec.. and other great companies. He started as a programmer, made his way into management and beyond. There is SO MUCH to learn from him!
In this episode we dig into the business of building a business. How to keep things simple in the beginning, how to put things in place so you don’t get overwhelmed, growth vs scaling and so much more!
THE MEAT OF IT!
- Doland’s Background .. 30+ years in the tech world.
- Started out as a chef.. for 13 years.
- Then got into technology..
- Wrote software in the 80s ..
- IBM, 11 years at Novell, Symantec..
- Then got into management.
- Ran large teams, big sales quotas
- To manage people you have to understand business. And why that is..
- Back to school… studied finance, leadership, marketing. To get better.
- Traveled to 13-14 countries teaching.
- Eventually found himself at Rapid Crush, Inc… became CEO.
- Did some consulting for a year+.
- And is now at Brave Thinking Institute.
- Jim Kwik‘s S3 – Simple, Small Steps (11:00)
- Became part of Doland’s methodology for a long time.
- What can I do today to move one step closer to my goals…?
- Record your wins.. start your day with a win.
- Limit for goals each day.
- Break it down to days.. instead of one BIG goal far in the future.
- Just getting started .. instead of leaning on your comfortable crutch
- Learning how to ‘stretch’.. do something you’ve never done.
- A conversation with my Dad.. The 5 managerial functions
- If you try and do all of them, you’ll go nuts.
- My rebuttal.
- The difference between leading and managing.
- There are times you have to lead and times you have to manage..
- Solopreneurs and small businesses
- Delegating – “I no longer do that”
- Freeing you up to do something else.
- “Getting Things Done“.. mention.
- You have to do this.. you have to get up at 5am …. “No you don’t”
- Time Boxing / Leveraging Your Calendar
- As your business shifts.. re-allocate those blocks of time.
- “Atomic Habits” .. mention.
- I have to write a 1 year, 3 year, 5 year business plan… “No you don’t”
- Focus on shorter time frames
- Growth vs Scaling a business
- Phases when you shouldn’t delegate..
- Project Management.. is relationship management.
- Being careful not to replace yourself and damage a relationship
- People you’ve built relationships with
- Good ways to introduce new people to work with your clients..
If You’d Like to Connect or Learn More From Doland
LISTEN TO THE EPISODE BELOW!